Frequently Asked Questions for a medical marijuana card

What qualifying conditions are approved by the program?

A physician must certify that a patient has an approved qualifying medical condition to participate in the Medicinal Marijuana Program. Approved Qualifying medical conditions include:

  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Anxiety
  • Chronic pain related to musculoskeletal disorders
  • Chronic pain of visceral origin
  • Migraine
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Opioid Use Disorder as an adjunct to Medication Assisted Therapy
  • Terminal cancer
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease
  • Terminal illness, if the physician has determined a prognosis of less than 12 months of life
  • Tourette's Syndrome
  • The following conditions apply, if resistant to, or if the patient is intolerant to, conventional therapy:
  • Seizure disorder, including epilepsy
  • Intractable skeletal muscular spasticity
  • Glaucoma
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

The following conditions apply, if severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or vomiting, cachexia or wasting syndrome results from the condition or treatment thereof:

  • Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus
  • Acquired immune deficiency syndrome
  • Cancer

Can I switch from my current MMP physician to a new MMP registered physician without having to re-register?

Yes, MMP physicians have the ability to accept a registered patient who is currently under the responsibility of another MMP physician. The process is completed by the desired physician through the registry. 

I have opioid use disorder. Am I eligible to get medicinal marijuana?

Since March 2018, chronic pain related to a musculoskeletal disorder qualifies as a debilitating medical condition for the Medicinal Marijuana Program (MMP).  Included in this chronic pain category is opioid use disorder.  As of January 2019, opioid use disorder qualifies as a standalone debilitating medical condition for the MMP so long as the patient is also undergoing medication-assisted therapy (MAT).  Therefore, opioid use disorder patients are eligible for medicinal marijuana if they suffer from chronic, painful withdrawal symptoms or as an adjunct treatment to their current MAT regimen. 

Can I sign up using a mobile device?

Yes. The registry has recently been updated to allow most major brand name devices to work with the registry. 

The Department is also working to develop an upgraded portal for use by physicians, patients, and caregivers to improve the technology experience for all users. The Department anticipates that this portal will be rolled out in phases beginning in Spring 2019.

When can I buy three ounces per month?

The amount dispensed per month can vary based on physician recommendation.

When will all patients by able to buy edibles?

Edibles will be available for all patients when supplies allow them

Why do I still need a doctor to register me?

Medicinal marijuana requires a physician’s authorization, much like other medications that are provided or prescribed by a doctor.

Can I now grow plants at home?


Will there be home delivery to patients?

Currently there is no home delivery in New Jersey.

Will wait times for MMP cards decrease?

The Health Department is expecting rapid growth during the initial expansion period but is committed to ensuring timely service and response to program participants.

I have chronic pain that is not related to musculoskeletal disorder or visceral pain. Can I still join the program?

To become a patient in the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program, a patient must establish relationship with an approved physician and the physician must certify that the patient has one of the approved qualifying condition. If a patient does not have one of the approved qualifying medical conditions, they would not be eligible to participate in the program.

What is the definition of chronic pain related to musculoskeletal disorder?

The Medicinal Marijuana Review Panel reviewed many petitions related to the category of Chronic Pain Related to Musculoskeletal Disorders. Conditions in this category include, but are not limited to, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and complex regional pain syndrome. Your approved physician can refer to these petitions for guidance on this category of disorders. The list of petitions related to each category is located at the end of the Panel’s letter of recommendation. The petitions and recommendation letter are available for review on the Department’s website at

When will you eliminate the psychiatrist requirement for minors?

This is no longer required. However a minor must have a letter of consent from a adolescent doctor, stating the child would benefit from the use of medical marijuana.

How do I (Patient) register to participate in the program?

A patient must be assessed by a  registered MMP physician who will certify if the patient has an approved Quaifying medical condition to participate in the NJ MMP. The physician must complete an Attending Physician Statement for each individual patient. Upon submission of the statement a unique Patient Reference Number will be produced. The physician will need to provide the patient with this Reference Number along with a copy of the attending physician statement. The patient or their designee will go to and complete the steps of the online registration process

What if I do not have the ability to access or utilize a scanner?

If you cannot convert documents to digital format, there are entities such as your local library equipped to assist you in preparing your documents so they may be uploaded into our system.

Is there a fee to register?

Yes. The fee for patients and caregivers is $100 each. Patients and caregivers who are senior citizens, military veterans, or who qualify for the below listed state and federal assistance programs will be eligible to pay a fee of $20 each. The registration period is valid for 2 years.

  • · NJ Medicaid Program
  • · Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
  • · NJ Temporary Disability Insurance benefits (TDI)
  • · Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSI)
  • · Social Security Disability Benefits (SSD)

How do I pay my registration fee?

Once you have received your confirmation email stating that your registration fee has been set, you will return to the registry at, and select the "Payment" option on the left hand side. You will then have to submit your information, including your reference number. Follow the instructions to proceed with your payment.

What are the fee requirements for legal guardians and minor patients?

Designation as a legal guardian for a qualified minor patient exempts you from the application fee. The required fee for a minor patient is $100; however, if the guardian qualifies for a reduced registration fee, the minor patient would also qualify for the reduced fee. Minor patients may have up to two caregivers.

Will my application be confidential?

A patient’s application will only be available to the patient's registered physician, the NJMMP staff, and ATC personnel.

I’m under the age of 18 and have a listed debilitating disease. Can I register?

Patients under the age of 18 who suffer from an approved debilitating condition are considered minor patients and may register with the Medicinal Marijuana Program (MMP). Minor patients are required to have a legal guardian assume responsibility as their designated caregiver until they are 18 years of age. Up to two caregivers may be registered per patient. Once a patient reaches the age of 18, they will need to re-register as an adult. The patient’s approved MMP physician is required by the Department of Health to complete a minor attestation. This requires written confirmation from a physician trained in the care of pediatric patients.

It is too difficult for me to travel. Can someone help me get medicinal marijuana?

Yes. A qualified patient can designate a primary caregiver who must register with the NJ Medicinal Marijuana Program. Your caregiver can assist you with the procedures necessary to obtain your medicinal marijuana from a selected Alternative Treatment Center.  If someone is only driving you to the Alternative Treatment Center and does not need to assist you inside, it is not necessary to sign up a caregiver. 

Is medicinal marijuana covered by Medicaid or any other health plans?

No, medicinal marijuana is not a covered service under Medicaid or any other health plans in the State of New Jersey.

Where will a qualifying patient be able to smoke medical marijuana?

The Department notes that smoking medicinal marijuana falls within the definition of "smoking" as set forth in the Smoke Free Air Act at N.J.S.A. 26:3D-57, and is therefore subject to the provisions of the Smoke Free Air Act.

Patients may not:

  • Operate, navigate, or be in control of any vehicle, aircraft, railroad train, or stationary heavy equipment vessel while under the influence of marijuana.
  • Patients may not smoke medicinal marijuana, On a school bus or public form of transportation. In a private vehicle unless the vehicle is not in operation.
  • On any school grounds, in any correctional facility, at any public park or beach, at any recreation center.
  • Any area pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:33-13.

How much medicinal marijuana can I get?

Up to 3 ounces per 30 days, however the doctor will determine the this at time of visit

Can I switch my Alternative Treatment Center?


Do I have to be registered with a specific ATC to purchase medicinal marijuana or can I go to any ATC provided I’m an approved MMP cardholder.

You must be registered with a specific ATC to purchase your medicinal marijuana.  An ATC will not be able to see your information in the system if you are not registered with them.

If my ID card is lost, stolen, or is damaged what do I do and is there a fee to replace the card?

If a registered patient or registered primary caregiver becomes aware of the theft, loss or destruction of his or her registry ID card, he or she shall notify the MMP within 24 hours after the discovery of the occurrence of the theft, loss, or destruction. The fee to apply for issuance of an ID card replacement is $10.00. If you receive government assistance, and it was verified and approved upon registration, you will qualify for a fee of $5.00.

When my prescription certification for medicinal marijuana expires, do I have to re-register with the program?

No. Patient registration is valid for 2 years. However, upon expiration of your prescription certification, your physician must re-assess your condition and determine whether to continue your authorized use of medicinal marijuana for an additional period. The physician will be required to log into the registry and update your physician statement.

If my prescription certification is expired, will I be able to purchase medicinal marijuana?

No.  A patient must have a current certification in order to make an appointment or purchase medicinal marijuana at their Alternative Treatment Center.

What should I tell my employer if I am subjected to a drug test?

Being a registered patient in the Medicinal Marijuana Program does not mean that you do not have to comply with your employer’s drug testing policies. You should be familiar with your employer’s policies on drug testing and know how it applies to you. Questions about employer policies should be directed to your human resources department.